Saturday, January 7, 2012

Prove it to me


I am so blessed to be able to spend a lengthy and quality time with Chrissy and the grandbabies this summer. I flew to Montana on August 8th to surprise Gavin for his 6th birthday, then on the 16th Chrissy, Gavin, Natalie and myself drove from Miles City, Montana to Hubbard, Ohio to spend a week with our Ohio family. We drove over 16 hours on Wednesday and 16 hours on Thursday arriving about 5:00am on Friday. It was a short week in Ohio but we stuffed it with lots of fun things like: 3D movies, an awesome safari, swimming at Mimi's private beach, Unity Fest and more!

Then on Friday, August 24th we jumped back in the car and begrudgingly began our journey back to Miles City, Montana. The 32+ hour drive is a lot like child birth. The first time you make the trip you have no idea what you are in for so you look forward to your time on the road with anticipation and joy. But after that first delivery, you are no longer naive to the intensity that awaits you.

Somehow the more time between each journey kinda softens the blow and you almost forget how very long that drive really is. Let me tell you seven days in Ohio is not nearly long enough to soften the thoughts of driving all the way back to Miles City, Montana and none of us were excited about crawling back in that car and heading out. But we did because we wanted to get home for Nate's Gramma's 85th birthday party (which was to be held on Sunday the 26th). We had our route figured out and were prepared to arrive in Miles City late Saturday just in time for the birthday party on Sunday.
 
Our journey begins and through the course of the day Holy Spirit says to Chrissy “you have no idea what is ahead of you.” Friday night, totally exhausted after driving for over 10 hours, we find a room in Janesville, Wisconsin. It looks like a decent price and we all crawl out of the car and trudge our way into the Microtel. Much to our surprise when we open the door the entire wall behind the two queen size beds is a black two way mirror!! What the what?!! Totally exhausted, Chrissy and I look at each other... giggle and crawl into bed with the babies and sleep until 10:00am.
I went down for the continental breakfast and met the owner. Looking at the weather report on tv about the hurricane headed toward Cuba and Florida he says in very broken English “Mutter nature seem very angry.” I smile and said “Yes... it certainly seems that way doesn't it?” My mind is spinning as I try to strike a conversation with this Arabic man. Then he smiles and says “Yes... if it's not Mutter Nature... it's terrorists... hee hee hee.” I'm speechless and a cold chill runs up my spine. I smile back sweetly and say “I guess you're right. You just never know what lies ahead do you?” Then I cover my cold bagel and head back to my room. Still trying to think of how I could have incorporated Christ into that conversation.

The room in this hotel was not only creepy with it's dark, two way looking mirror... it was also filthy. We couldn't wait to leave our 'big brother' bedroom and get back on the road; still trying to make Gramma's birthday party on Sunday. After about 6 hours of driving, we learn that the birthday plans were changed and everyone celebrated Gramma's birthday TODAY!! All of our hustling was for nothing. So we slow the pace and decide to just meander our way back to Miles City and enjoy the journey along the way. That's when our craz-ar (radar) went off and the rest of the day was like a nightmare we couldn't wake up from.
After traveling for over 10 hours again, we decide to stop, get a room, go for a swim and call it a day. So in Alexandria, Minnesota we stopped at a Days Inn and high fived each other because the room only cost $65. Chrissy went in, paid for the room and we pulled around back (as instructed) to get to the entrance nearest our room. Now in all fairness, the girl at the desk told us that the room was a smoking room and we weren't too concerned because so was last night's big brother room and we thought it couldn't be any worse than that! Boy were we wrong!!
The babies were jumping up and down as we walked down the hall to our room. They couldn't wait to get in the pool. The closer we got to our room, the stronger the smell of cigarettes, weed and something I've never smelled before got. Chrissy and I just looked at each other and kept walking. We opened the door to our room and I was shocked at how tiny it was. There was only one double bed and you couldn't sit in the bathroom and shut the door at the same time because your knees would be in the way. You had to kind of walk in, turn sideways, shut the door and then sit down. Again, in our room was an overpowering fog of cigarettes, weed and something.... I don't know... something hot like an empty pan left on the burner.

Still hoping for the best, the kids put their swim suits on and headed toward the pool. Just before the pool entrance sat four elderly people playing cards. At first glance, they seemed helpless enough. Later on we wondered what they were really up to. Then we went into the room with the pool.

Can I just say that I believe there are different levels of discernment and cra-zar. Level one says “This probably isn't such a good idea.” Level two says “You really need to leave this place.” And while we were sitting in the pool area my discernment level was about a 100 and screaming “Leave! And leave now!!!”

There were two guys whispering something back and forth and looking at Chrissy and the kids. I'm not sure they knew I was with them because we went into the pool room separately. There were a dozen little kids and only a couple adults there. The adults were catapulting the little babies with life jackets on like basketballs into the water. There's a party going on in the parking lot just outside the pool area and an older man peeking into the windows where the pool is. My stomach was churning and my spirit screaming “This isn't okay at all.”

After a few short minutes, we convince the kids we're going to go get something to eat and maybe we will come back to the pool later. As we walk back to our room, we are followed by a couple in full leathers looking like they've been on a bike for weeks without stopping. The young couple in front of us, opened the door to their room and you can hear a room full of voices partying and that strange smell instantly got stronger.

So here we are... once again in a filthy, ghetto hotel. Only this time, people are openly partying and I'm not feeling safe at all! I've already decided that I would let Chrissy and the babies sleep while I sat in the chair on guard all night. Chrissy says “We can order a pizza and have it delivered to the room.” And I snapped back “I'm not opening that door for no pizza man!!!!”

Once in the room, Chrissy looks at me... I look at her and ask “Do you think we're okay here?!” She says “Listen... we've already paid for the room. We're staying!” I replied “Is it really worth $70 buck?!”

Chrissy was trying not to panic and thought I was 'cool' with being there. I was trying not to panic and thought she was 'cool' with being there. When we both realized that neither one of us was 'cool' with being there we began to move in sync and very quickly!!

She called the front desk and explained that the smoke was unbearable and that her allergies would not allow her to stay (She did well by not saying what kind of smoke! I think I would have went off on the girl at the front desk and really made a mess of things!) In the meantime, I'm trying to dress two babies and get them ready to run for the car. I don't know what I thought was going to happen... I just knew whatever it was it wasn't good and I was ready to bolt; with or without a refund.

At one point, Gavin began to give me a hard time because I was putting his shirt on and his hair was still wet. Chris said that's when she saw something in me go 'click' and I went into survival mode. That little boy and his sister were packed and back in the car before they knew what happened. I dropped Chrissy off at the front desk, she got aour money back and we beat it outta town fast.

The poor babies in the back seat were confused, starving and wondering what in the world was happening. While Chrissy was at the front desk I said to Gavin and Natalie “Hey guys? Listen. Do you know what discernment is?” “Noooo....” they answered. “Well,” I continued, “When you have Jesus in your heart God gives you this thing called 'discernment' and what it is.... is Jesus telling you when something isn't right. And Mommy AND Mimi BOTH heard Jesus say that this isn't a safe place for us to be. So we are going to find another place to sleep tonight.”
Natalie's eyes got big and she says in her sweet little voice “I didn't hear Him say nothin...” I assured her that it was okay because she was playing in the pool and that's exactly what she was supposed to be doing. It's Mommy's and Mimi's job to hear Jesus and keep them safe. They both seemed to understand and were content just to find some place to eat.

If you've ever traveled out west you know that finding a place to eat can be quite a challenge between cities. Finally, around 11pm we find a Perkins and go in to eat dinner. After eating, we walk out into the parking lot and were met by two men in their 60s who parked beside our car. The one man walked into Perkins but the other stopped in the middle of the parking lot and just stared at us as we tried to hustle the kids into their car seats and lock the doors. I looked over at Chrissy and could tell she was about to go “Madea” on this guy as she stared him down; almost daring him to say something or take one step toward our vehicle.

We got in the car and once again hit the road. The further away we got from all that mess the better we began to feel. With full bellies and damp hair, the kids were instantly asleep in the back seat. Two hours later, we both knew we couldn't drive nine more hours without sleep... but we don't want to have another bad hotel experience. Not sure what we're going to do we pull into Fargo, North Carolina for a potty break. Chrissy went into Taco Bell first and when she came out we went on a search for a motel.

We found another Days Inn but this was NOTHING like the one we just left. And let me assure you it cost more than $70!! It was actually more than twice that price. But even though the outside looked nice and welcoming, I asked the young man at the desk to show me the room first. One peek into the room and I knew we would be safe here and the cost didn't matter.

I paid for the room, went back out to the car and we all came dragging into the room; no luggage, no nothing... in fact Gavin was in his bare feet and Natalie was asleep in Chrissy's arms. Going up the hall Chrissy said “I feel like we're trying to escape an abusive relationship or something!” We certainly did look displaced and out of sorts. To see both babies grinning when we slid them between the sheets of their comfy bed though was priceless.

So here I sit. It's 3:29am. The room is cool, the beds are comfy, there are no two way mirrors, no fog of cigarettes and/or weed and everyone else is sleeping. But the three cups of coffee I had at Perkins (because I thought we were driving all night) won't allow my mind to stop clicking.

Here's my thought for today: much like hotel rooms, there are a lot of people who call themselves Christians. They actually believe that they are going to go to Heaven and that they are 'good' people. They don't see anything wrong with the way they are living or the things that they are doing. They're just going through life doing their own thing and chasing after whatever makes them feel good.

And quite honestly, from the outside they look great! It's only after you peel back a few layers that you begin to notice a stench and a filthiness. It's only after you spend some time with them that you realize they aren't really what they say they are. It's only with Holy Spirit and discernment that you can see past this natural world and get a glimpse of what's really going on behind the scenes.

You better believe from now on before I give anyone money for a room, I want to know if that room is really what they say it is... I want them to 'prove it to me.'

If you're in a bad situation now and you're not sure what to do; don't hesitate to ask Holy Spirit to give you discernment. But when He does, then you must act on it. Don't try to dismiss your feelings or talk yourself out of what He's showing you.

Listen, this 'ole Mimi has been to Russia twice (by myself), El Salvador twice, I've walked the streets of Youngstown, Ohio witnessing and praying with people, we've done a lot of ministering in the 'ghetto' and Chrissy and I are both pretty independent and strong women of God. So don't think we were just being 'chickens.' We found ourselves in a really bad situation and who knows what could have happened; without divine intervention and discernment.

I believe there's a time to stand firm and hold your ground without fear and there's a time to follow your discernment and 'get outta dodge - FAST!'

The sun will be rising soon and the caffeine is beginning to fade. I thank God for His sovereignty and His protection. I thank Him for a good day without event. I praise Him that there are three precious treasures snoring in the bed beside me and I look forward to yet another leg of this journey in a few short hours. Much like birth pains this day will not soon be forgotten but the joy of knowing that Someone greater than ourselves is in full control and has every step ordered for us gives me total joy and complete confidence.

Today's verse for the day that I just received via email is: Psalm 119:165 There is lasting peace for those who love Your teachings. Nothing can make those people stumble.

And if you don't believe that... I dare to you ask Him to “Prove it to you!” I guarantee that He will.








No comments:

Post a Comment